Thursday, February 19, 2009

WEEK 5: Concentration areas to applied study site

The first concept I would like to start out with is the idea of communication. Communication is key for any business to succeed whether large or small. At my internship I make sure I communicate with the boss on a daily basis to make sure we are on the same page. If I failed to do this there could be problems such as: wrong orders, wrong prices etc. Even though I seem to understand everything that is taking place in this environment I always make sure I ask him what specifically needs to be done for that day. With communication comes the right preparation in order to help your business succeed. Next I would like to discuss the idea of creativity in the workplace. I make sure that all of our product in our store is in the best positioning for its intended purpose. By doing this will hopefully catch the attention of the consumer and make them want to shop in our environment. I believe creativity plays a big role in the success of a business. The idea of "thinking outside the box" is something every business must address when attempting to promote their product. By being productive and creative in the work place will help better the sales for your company. Another concept is the idea of self expression. By expressing yourself in the workplace you can bring new ideas to the table. If you are thinking "outside the box" and have a suggestion for your boss, he/she might really enjoy the idea and pursue it. Also with you speaking up and giving suggestions might get you recognized for a promotion one day if it is to come along. Being able to follow directions and communicate with your colleagues is important but also expressing your opinions is another important aspect to contribute to the work place. Lastly, I would like to discuss the idea of wisdom. With experience comes wisdom, so I make sure I listen to my boss everyday very closely. Even though I may not agree 100% of the time with his ideas, I still know he has had more experience than me. Through his experiences he has gained the knowledge to run his shop successfully, so I make sure I just listen and focus on what needs to be done. Like I stated earlier, every now and then I will throw out some suggestions but for the most part I take his advice and then contribute to making the music shop a more successful environment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    You brought up some very good concepts, some of which I never even thought of. I agree with you that communication is such a vital part in running a successful business or organization. It’s our shared understanding with each. Communication is part of our listening, observing, speaking, questioning, analyzing, and evaluating and it transfers to all areas of life. The idea of self expression is excellent in the workplace. Everyone has their own methods and ways of doing things that are often better than the ways they have always been done. Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn’t mean it’s the most efficient way. By sharing your ideas and thoughts and your own creative ways, these are often ways of improving a procedure. I enjoyed reading your post. Best of luck to you in your internship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I completely agree with you that communication and creativity is very important aspect to any business. Without both of those concepts business would be very boring. Communication is very important to any job wither it be with your boss, coworkers and customers because the job can’t get done without some sort of communication. Creativity plays a important role when it comes to marketing, new products and also positive consistency throughout the company. Thanks for sharing your concept s to the class. It sounds like you will be successful in whatever adventure life will give you :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. You and I are on the same page when we say communication is what can make or break a company. When everyone is communicating well it keeps the company on the right track. Communication is very important in what I do as well. I have never really thought about self expression in the workplace. I feel that it is important to express ideas if you have them. However, sometimes I feel that self expression needs to be held in check, do you agree? It seems that you really enjoy your internship which is awesome, and I look forward to reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete