Tuesday, January 27, 2009

WEEK 2: Introducing myself, my blog and my applied study site.

Hows it going everybody my name is Chris Bandusky and my two concentration areas are Business and Music. I chose these two areas because obviously I am a musician and I wanted to have some good credentials to go along with it which is why I chose Business. These two concentrations are reflective of my identity because I have a passion for music but I am also a very social person as well. In order to be successful as a musician you also need personal skills to sell yourself and your business on why it is better than your competitor and this is where business gets applied. The site of my applied study is located in a music shop where I am operating the desk, repairing instruments, and learning the business side of things by ordering product etc. What I also hope to learn from my site academically and personally is just how to operate your own business. Everyone knows if you choose to open your own place it is not an overnight success, there are many long and hard earned hours that are put into it in order for it to succeed accordingly. I hope that with this internship I will just get a better sense of what would need to be done in order for me to run my own business one day. The responsibilities I have accomplished there so far is like I stated earlier just being able to run the music shop on my own in many different ways: sales, desk work, ordering product, promoting product etc. All of these responsibilities come into play into what I have been studying in many different ways. On a daily basis at ASU I learn about different styles and genres of music while in the business program I have done finance, marketing etc. All of these classes go hand in hand if you want to run your own shop successfully. Since graduation is just around the corner for me (in May) my future goals are to obviously be successful at my passion. I have plans to relocate to Nashville Tennessee in hopes of getting my start in music and then take it from there with the business side of things. I hope to be able to perform for a living first and then later on in life open my own business and continue developing and distributing musical product since music is my life! Once again, after I graduate college this May it is only the start but I hope my near future is a promising one since I have worked so hard to achieve my goals so far!!
- Chris

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chris,
    It was nice to read your blog and learn about your interest and goals. I have always thought it is very important to incorporate your passion into your career. A career is something that you will have for your whole life and I am a strong believer in loving what you do will make you happy! Business is such a great major because it will open to many doors for the future. Even though you are passionate about music it is good that you understand you need the business side to complete the goals you have. It’s very important to educate yourself on the actual functions of a business instead of just following with what you know about music. Anyways I look forward to chatting in the future. Good luck at your applied study and with everything else. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,
    I am glad that you were able to get your blog up and running! And I am happy to have you in my class again. Its funny because in 302 I didn't realize that you are a musician, what instrument do you play? Nashville huh? So, someday when you make it big I can say I knew you when! As for owning a music store, it sounds like you are interning at the right place and are gaining some great hands on experience. My daughter takes guitar lessons at a local music shop and although her teacher is wonderful the actual store could use some management tips!!! I am there every Friday for the past two years, so I have some good suggestions for them if they were to ever ask! Anyway, I am looking forward to following your blog and hearing more about your experience.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    I enjoyed reading your blog and must say that I have not met anyone with the concentration of music before, and it really interested me. What sort of classes do you have to take on the business side of your concentration? I like how you landed an internship at a place that has an interest to you. The atmoshere at a workplace is great when you enjoy what you are doing. Do you think you might want to get into being a business agent for a singer or songwriter some day? I feel that would be very interesting and fun. I look forward to reading your blog throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete